Don't Be Tricked by Your Treats: 9 Ways to Help Your Kids Detox from GMOs in Their Halloween Candy.
October 31, 2015
When it comes to Halloween candy, I used to be concerned about all the sugar my girls would be ingesting around that night.
But now, I would definitely take pure cane sugar any day over GMOs.
While a sugar onslaught is challenging to kid’s bodies (pancreas has to go cah-razy to handle the tidal wave of glucose, liver has to metabolize all the sugar, immune system is suppressed, minerals and B-vitamins go bye-bye at lightening speed…and more), sugar is still a recognizable food that the body can handle even if it is an extreme amount.
But GMOs? Now we are talking about a whole new unrecognizable genetic alteration in food that the body doesn’t recognize. The body has to figure out what to do with this laboratory-engineered food. And the freaky thing is that GMOs have long term consequences (see here for more info on long-term impacts on the body including infertility, immune alterations, and more).
So, while I would like to drive away to a mountaintop and hide away until the Halloween season is over, the reality is that we are going to put on our costumes, run around and laugh with our friends and enjoy our wonderful neighbors.
If your kids are trick or treaters, then take a look in their satchel at the end of the night.
If you see any of these candies, then you can be certain they contain GMO ingredients:
I don’t know about you, but about 99% of the candy in my girls’ candy bags include candy on this GMO list.
One option is to reduce the consumption of Halloween candy. See this post for more info on reducing candy consumption.
If they are going to eat more than 1 piece, I would suggest doing the following to help their amazing bodies detox from the GMOs (side note…kids are constantly exposed to and ingesting GMOs. These ideas are applicable all the time).
1. Probiotics…Since GMOs tend to alter bacterial balance within the gut, supplementing with probiotics (Prescript-Assist and BioKult are some of my faves) and probiotic-rich foods (like raw sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha tea, authentic miso soup, fermented vegetables, and yogurt) is absolutely vital for protecting your kid's body against the harmful effects of GMO exposure.
2. Hydrate with purified water. Purified water will help the body flush out toxins…including GMOs
3. 1 green smoothie a day. There are hundreds of juicing recipes out there that will help the body detox, many of them with very simple ingredients like leafy greens or fruit juices. Adding citrus like lemon or lime is also detoxing. I have a great green smoothie in my 5+5
4. Massage. This can be the most enjoyable way to rid your body of toxins. The lymph system gets a boost when you get a massage. It works sort of like a sponge: When pressure is applied to the tissue and fat, toxins are literally “squeezed” out from in between the muscle fibers and cells. Then they are released into the circulatory system for easier elimination.
5. Green tea (diluted for kids). Green tea has about half the caffeine as a normal cup of coffee, and it is full of antioxidants that help the body cleanse itself from impurities. Matcha green tea is the absolute best. In some varieties, it has up to 35 times more antioxidants than regular green tea.
6. Milk Thistle or Dandelion Root to detox the liver. This important organ removes toxins from our blood stream. These two herbs can greatly help the liver process toxins before they ever reach the bloodstream, so that they can be purged from the body via the feces or urine. Dandy Blend is a great, tasty way to have dandelion. You can also have your kids drink milk thistle tea.
7. Bentonite clay bath. A clay bath is a gentle detox because it absorbs the toxins instead of forcing them out (like a sauna). Here are some more tips on how to do the bath.
8. Supplements. Our family solution was for each daughter to pick 2 of the above suggestions and then take an increase in supplements for the next 2 weeks. In addition to the probiotics, we are going to take the following digestive support:
Bromelain Plus CLA – more intense digestive support to help with tissue repair and reducing inflammation
Beta TCP - This helps to keep the bile thin (this is river where the liver dumps its toxins) so that it can be free flowing and toxins can be eliminated
Inositol – supports blood sugar regulation.
9. Keep the stress low. If you have the tendency to get stressed and hyped up about sugar and toxins in this world and freak out about the future of humanity and your grandkids’ reproductive health and how the earth might erode into a toxic wasteland…and…and…AND! (Can you tell who struggles with worry?).
Well, let me encourage you to relax and enjoy your kids and the season. In the end, stress can become even more toxic than any amount of sugar or toxic ingredients. Trust me, I am writing this probably more for myself than for any of you!
I’d love to hear your thoughts below about how you respond to Halloween including the candy, balancing a wise strategy to sugar ingestion and joy around the season.